I am a former U.S. Patent and Trademark Office trademark attorney and currently a partner in a law firm with offices in Atlanta, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton, New York City and Washington D.C. My firm bio page is here.
I assist businesses with identifying, protecting, enforcing and exploiting their intellectual property rights. My practice includes all aspects of international trademark and copyright laws, including trademark and copyright portfolio management, registration procurement, enforcement actions, domain name acquisition, domain name disputes, Internet laws, advertising, brand creation and licensing.
Before entering private practice, I worked at United States Patent and Trademark Office (“USPTO”) as a trademark attorney where I ranked as a top performing trademark attorney and received special assignments with the Office of Commissioner for Trademarks and Post Registration Division. During law school I received a full-time internship at the USPTO and a part-time internship at the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, where I served under the direction of now Chief Judge Gerard F. Rogers.
I have handled over 7,500 domestic and international trademark applications and registrations during my career. I also handle and/or manage more than 25 domestic and international copyright and trademark enforcement actions on a rolling basis, including trademark registration opposition and cancellation proceedings and domain name complaints filed with the World Intellectual Property Organization (“WIPO”) located in Geneva, Switzerland.
My extensive global trademark practice and experience allows me to anticipate objections and potential issues that may arise during the trademark registration process allowing me to provide preemptive value-added advice to my clients. That experience also allows me to propose U.S. and global filing strategies designed to avoid unnecessary objections and delays, thus reducing overall time and expense for securing trademark registrations.
Before entering the legal profession, I had 10 years of marketing, sales and business management experience, which gives me a unique business perspective when working with clients – including the appreciation for client deadlines and budget control, and building reliable business and advisory relationships.
My practice includes the following areas:
Global portfolio management, trademark selection consultation, trademark availability opinions, complex global trademark application filing strategies, U.S. federal, state and international trademark registration prosecution, trademark registration opposition and cancellation proceedings before the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and international trademark offices, cease and desist letter enforcement and defense, litigation, trade dress packaging and configuration design consultation, including private label branding, settlement agreements, license agreements, advertising and branding laws, global portfolio audit consultation and IP due diligence review.
Filing domain name infringement complaints before the WIPO in Geneva, Switzerland, acquisition of domain names from third parties, online trademark and copyright infringement enforcement, including infringement of trademarks on internet search engines, social media consultation and enforcement and acquisition of social media user names.
International copyright registration application prosecution and defense and enforcement actions, including DMCA take down-notice actions.
- Franklin Pierce Law Center, J.D., 1999
- Franklin Pierce Law Center, M.I.P., 1999, Masters of Intellectual Property
- Saint Michael’s College, B.S., 1993, Business Management
- Champlain College, A.S., 1990, Marketing & Advertising
- Managing trademark portfolios for clients covering more than 100 countries.
- Settling more than 25 domestic and international trademark and copyright enforcement actions in 2012.
- Compelling transfer of domain names that infringed upon clients’ trademark rights by utilizing the UDRP complaint process at the WIPO, including a January 2013 case involving an internationally known celebrity’s name, which had been infringed upon by the subject domain name holder for more than 15 years.
- Representing clients in trademark registration opposition and cancellation proceedings and copyright enforcement actions throughout the world, including in Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, Ecuador, the European Union, Germany, Mexico, Paraguay, Taiwan, Turkey and the United States.
- Representing clients in complex global trademark filing strategies, many of which focus on strategically staged filings to spread out costs over several years.
- Representing clients in the assertion and defense of claims for trademark and/or trade dress infringement.
- Advising businesses in connection with intellectual property issues arising in the context of asset purchases, mergers, acquisitions and other business transactions.
- Developing intellectual property protection programs and strategies for businesses.
- Conducting due diligence and IP audits in acquisition, merger and licensing ventures.
Professional Associations and Community Activities
- International Trademark Association; Member of United States Patent and Trademark Office Subcommittee, 2009-Present
- YMCA of Greater Dayton – Board Member 2011-2013
- YMCA, Co-Chair for Strong Kids Campaign, 2012-2013
- Miami Valley International Trade Association – Board Member since 2012